To wrap up our Global Weddings Week Series (wasn’t this fun!? I think we should do it again – yes? no? What countries would you like to see?) we have a vibrant and colorful Indian wedding! South Asian weddings are bright events overflowing with ritual and celebration that often last for several days. Indian wedding traditions and customs vary greatly between religion, region, and family, but one custom that I like very much are the traditional Hindu vows that a husband makes to his wife, a little dated, perhaps, but sweet none-the-less!
- I will consider my wife to be The better half. I will look after her just as I look after myself.
- Accepting her as in-charge of my home, I shall plan things in consultation with her.
- I will never express dissatisfaction about any shortcomings in my wife. If there are any, I will explain them to her lovingly. I will support her in overcoming them.
- I will always have faith in my wife. I will never look at another woman with wrong intent, nor have an illicit relationship.
- I will be affectionate and treat my wife like a friend.
- I will bring home all my income to my wife. The household expenses will be incurred with her consent. I will always make an effort to ensure her comfort and happiness.
- I will not find fault or criticize my wife before others. We will sort out our differences and mistakes in privacy by ourselves.
- I will have a courteous and tolerant attitude towards my wife. I will always follow a compromising policy.
- If my wife is unwell, or is unable to fulfill some of the responsibilities or through some misunderstanding behaves wrongly, I will not withdraw support or refuse to fulfill my responsibilities towards her.