Ahhh yes, it’s time for another Sunday Edition! How was everyone’s week? Mine was pretty quiet (which sometimes is a good thing) and yesterday was definitely a reflective day for me. I am a mentor to a ‘little sister’ in the Big Brothers Big Sisters Program and we see each other two to three times a month for the past year and a half since we were matched. While I won’t go into the details of her life here, I do believe that this little girl does more for me than I do for her. Despite all the mountains she has had to climb during her short life so far, she remains positive, polite, kind, and thoughtful towards others. Her sense of empathy is remarkable and sometimes during our conversations I can’t believe that I’m talking to a 12 year old.
I’m going to plug the BBBS program here for a moment. Even if you think you’re the busiest person on the planet, I’m going to hazard a guess and say that you can make some time in your life to spend with an underprivileged child. During this run up to the elections here in America we are all so concerned with what each candidate can do for us, what their policies would mean to each of us personally, how their economic plans would hurt or help our own paychecks etc. It’s easy to get wrapped up in our own lives, and it was days like yesterday that bring me back down to Earth. Spending a few hours with my ‘little sister’ makes me realize all the more how blessed I am, how important volunteer work is, and it also makes me realize that I can do more. That little girl truly is a gift.
Ok, I’ll step down off of my soap box now and get on with what you came for – let’s see what has been rocking the wedding blog world and what has been rocking the real world!
1. Rachel Comey’s gold dipped cardigan makes my heart flutter – seriously, it’s so beautiful!
2. Modern Weddings Hawaii is giving away a veil! You should pop over there and enter (veils are expensive), and it’s not just any veil, it has a raw edge which is super chic and trendy right now.
4. Raise a glass to impulsive decisions because at literally the last minute before it sold out I decided to go to NYC and attend The Blogcademy and I couldn’t be more thrilled about it! Taking this blog to ‘the next level’ is definitely a goal of mine and I am looking forward to learning from the best. I must admit though, I’m nervous about it because I’m pretty much a NYC virgin and the only way I know how to navigate is by looking to see which way the ocean is. I’m going to get lost for days in the subway aren’t I? Yep.
5. East Coast Bride launched an Etsy store and this adorable heart shaped bunting cake topper is definitely a favorite item in there. So cute.
6. Bride and Breakfast shared a lovely collection of adorable cakes.
7. Amanda and Zac’s fairground engagement session is amazing from start to finish.
8. This surprise midnight engagement shoot on Want That Wedding is so utterly romantic and stylish I had a hard time believing they are a real couple (but they are!)
9. Those of you who either know me or follow me on twitter already know that I am obsessed with my new kitten (he has his own Facebook page sort of obsessed <leave me a note if you want him to friend you!), and my love for all things cat extends to the literary realm this week. I’m re-reading the Norton series and if you’re a fellow crazy cat lady, you should definitely check it out.
10. A zillion (< slight exaggeration) different ways to incorporate origami into your wedding.
11. Paint your nails with diamond dust (seriously!) with étolie nail polish. I honestly can’t think of a better way to enhance the sparkle in your ring.
12. I loved this unique and whimsical bird nest bridesmaid bouquet on Style Me Pretty.
13. Glamour and Grace shared a wonderful mint and blush DIY wedding.
14. Beau & Arrow events shared this beautiful, quirky, and fun loving California inspiration shoot (with heart shaped glasses) on their blog this week.
15. Are you the kind of person who loves getting artsy and fun little surprises in the mail? (ummm… who isn’t?!), well, Umba Box is a subscription service that sends a box filled with modern and whimsical handmade products straight to your doorstep each month. It’s time to start stalking your mailbox ladies because Umba Box is offering a 10% discount to BB readers on the first month (each month costs only $25, and you can sign up for one, or as many months as you want)! It’s like getting presents from the best of the best of Etsy every four weeks. Sign yourself up, give them as gifts to your bridesmaids, and do it quick because this awesome offer ends September 30th.
16. If you love a colorful wedding you’re going to like the Sudanese wedding that Capitol Romance posted this past week.
And last (but certainly not least) a big congrats to Sarah of Under the Vintage Veil on her recent wedding – be sure to check out her hilarious wedding stats here.
I hope y’all enjoyed this week’s Sunday Edition and I’m really excited to share tomorrow’s orange and blue inspiration board with you!