When you start comparing TripAdvisor reviews for resorts in Saint Lucia – it’s hard to beat East Winds Inn and now I know why. I was lucky enough to experience this hidden gem just a few short weeks ago on a trip I made to simply beautiful St. Lucia with my boyfriend.
With this being my 11th (seriously!) visit to St. Lucia I have definitely experienced my fair share of this Caribbean island’s remarkable hospitality, culture, and tourism offerings and East Winds’ TripAdvisor reviews don’t lie. So, what’s their secret to consistent five-star reviews? Let’s take a look!
Whenever you’re considering your destination wedding and honeymoon we all know we want to know exactly what the rooms are like. Sure, you’re there for the jaw-dropping views and island-vibe but a bad room can ruin your entire time. There’s too much cuddling & together time at stake.
The term rooms is a bit of a misnomer for East Winds because their ‘rooms’ are actually adorable cottages set amongst some of the lushest and most well-tended tropical gardens that St. Lucia has to offer. Our particular cottage had a patio with a wet bar, spacious bedroom, and a large bathroom with a sunken shower. The feeling you get in these cottages is one of relaxed privacy. It was very intimate and definitely honeymoon-worthy.
TIP: Bring your converters if you’re traveling from the US. The wifi in our cottage was great but there’s no converter consul / adaptors for American plugs.
TIP: There’s nothing quite like a shampoo explosion all over the clothes in your suitcase so go light on the toiletry packing. East Winds uses one of the best brands around (Molton Brown)!
WEDDINGS & VOW RENEWALS:
East Winds has a spectacular beach, especially at sunset (have you seen THIS picture yet?!) and the most incredible ‘picture perfect’ gardens & grounds so of course I had to have a little sit down with the resort’s event coordinator and wedding planner Glenda and learned a bit more about having a destination wedding in St. Lucia at East Winds…
- It’s a totally boutique experience. You’ll get exactly what you want and have always dreamed of! There’s no pre-set anything. It’s really up to you. You can be as involved or as not-involved in the wedding planning process as you want. The day is truly yours.
- The resort is ‘destination wedding perfect’ insofar as the physical venue is concerned. With just 30 cottages, you can have a destination wedding on the larger side and take over the entire resort with your 70 or so guests, or you can have a more intimate affair with a few friends and family. Everyone will have their own cottage to either converge in to celebrate or return to for some R&R.
- AI is a term that we like to see when researching destination weddings because ‘All Inclusive’ means a worry free experience. Your uncle cannot not run up your bar tab because it’s already included!
- Did I mention that the wedding or vow renewal is free? That’s right. When you say ‘I DO’ at East Winds the legal fees, marriage license & certificate, registrar’s attendance, decorated ceremony location, bouquet and boutonniere are on the house.
- I’m sure you’ll be able to tell from the images throughout this feature but it’s a spectacular place to get married. You can have your destination beach shots in the sand and romantic portraits in the garden. At East Winds you really get the best of both worlds, land & sea.
We all know that the only thing you really remember about anything (be it your BFF’s wedding, your own honeymoon, the last family reunion you went to, or the vacation you took with your boyfriend last year) is the food. Sure everything was probably pretty to look at and you had lots of fun but if you left parched or hungry or in some way dissatisfied with your meals that’s what you’ll remember.
This is something you do not have to worry about at East Winds.
Since it’s a smaller all-inclusive resort the menu for each meal is not extensive BUT since it is a luxury all-inclusive resort you can rest assured that everything served is delicious and the wine is paired well.
Here’s a sample menu from one of our evenings there:
Marinated Barracuda with Coconut Milk and Lime
Chicken Liver Salad with Balsamic Vinegar
Glazed Potatoes with Raclette Cheese
Carrot and Ginger Soup
Bell Pepper and Feta Cheese Risotto
Fresh Garden Salad
Confit Duck with Marsala Wine Sauce
Baked Dorado with Seaweed Sauce
Stewed Lentils with Coconut Milk and Thai Curry
Fresh Fruit Salad
On another of the evenings during our stay at East Winds my boyfriend and I had a grilled-to-order steak and lobster tail (aka: the Land & Sea BBQ night with live music!) and we both agreed that it is was one of the best steaks we’d had in years. It cut like butter, practically melted in your mouth, and was seasoned to perfection.
One of the best things about a destination wedding is that you can have a multi-day celebration with your closest friends and family and East Winds makes that as easy as it can possibly be. In the mornings you can enjoy a group yoga or pilates session with your bridesmaids in the resort’s relaxing, breezy studio, then visit the spa for massage and beauty treatments!
Boat trips to visit the Pitons (St. Lucia’s iconic twin mountain peaks) are organized by the resort (imagine how fun that will be with everyone!). Captain ‘LoLo’ will point out dolphins as you sail and you can extend your trip by stopping in Soufriere to go and see the island’s active volcano, take a mud bath in the sulfur springs, and view the awe-inspiring Toraille Falls. On your sail back you’ll have the chance to jump into the water and experience some of the best snorkeling spots that St. Lucia has to offer!
Simeon, East Winds’ social coordinator, has designed exclusive experiences that you can enjoy as honeymooners or as a group with your wedding party. Enjoy guided walks through the lush gardens and learn about the local flora, meet and greet other guests during the hosted beach Champagne receptions on Monday & Tuesday evenings, take a cooking class right on property with local chefs Harry and Linton, or learn to mix cocktails poolside at the swim-up bar!
During our three nights at East Winds Saint Lucia there was live music two of those nights. One evening was a really great piano player (who took requests! And we totally slow danced. No shame y’all. No shame.) and the second was a fun local Shak Shak band (during the afore-mentioned most-amazing-steak-ever night).
Weddings & Vow Renewals: The place is as close to perfect as you can get for a wedding, whether intimate or on the larger side. You’ll feel like you have the run of the entire resort due to its boutique nature and cottage style rooms. You’d also be hard pressed to find prettier grounds or a nicer beach! All of the attention of the staff will be on you since it is not a wedding factory. There won’t be a another wedding that day, it will be your day and it will be exactly as you want it!
Honeymoons: The vibe for honeymooners is definitely intimate and relaxing while still having plenty of adventurous experiences in-between the relaxing by the pool and on the beach. The sunset cocktail cruise is a honeymoon-must!
Vacations: East Winds is the kind of place that after you leave, you get that nagging feeling of missing the place as soon as you pass the gates. It becomes your home for the duration of your stay and you leave knowing you’ll do whatever it takes to go back. And that, my boyfriend and I are definitely planning on!
* While East Winds Saint Lucia covered our food and accommodations, I am not required to do anything in return. This review is a good one because I would never bother to write about or promote a company or experience I didn’t care for. All opinions are my own!